Indiana Audubon, in partnership with National Audubon and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources is seeking an Indiana Secretive Marsh Bird Coordinator to oversee planning and execution of the Calumet Region secretive marsh bird monitoring program in Northwest Indiana and Northwest Illinois. The contracted coordinator will undertake the following activities:
- Volunteer recruitment, training, and coordination, including survey equipment management.
- Assist in planning of survey locations and site access.
- Assist in the coordination and training of volunteers.
- Execute Conway protocol secretive marsh bird monitoring at northwest Indiana sites identified by Audubon staff, filling gaps where volunteers and staff are not covering.
- Perform ARU installation, data collection, and processing for nocturnal surveys of Black Rail (Laterallus jamaicensis) at Kankakee Sands.
- Complete habitat surveys at all marsh bird survey locations within the marsh bird survey period
- Quality-check data collected by volunteers.
- Participate in meetings with landowners to discuss results and management recommendations.