South Florida: Migrants & Mangroves Tour
April 13, 2024 @ 7:00 pm - April 21, 2024 @ 10:00 pm EDT
amazing collection of specialty US species and the peak of spring migration through southern Florida. South Florida and the Keys host an amazing diversity of birds, and our timing will highlight the many migrants arriving onshore, as well as Florida breeders who are starting their nesting activity. The southern tip of Florida also plays host to unique species at their northern limit of their range that we will target. The specific dates are April 13-21, 2024.
As part of Indiana Audubon’s commitment to conservation in areas we visit, a portion of the trip fees will be donated towards Audubon Florida, and their conservation work in south Florida.
Trip Leaders: The 2024 Florida birding tour is led by IAS staff and experienced guides, Libby Keyes and Sam Warren. Both will facilitate Indiana Audubon’s Florida birding tour and have experience leading birding tours for Indiana Audubon.
This is the time of year when waves of birds are arriving on Florida’s south coast from Cuba and Mexico. Many birds are undertaking long flights over the Gulf of Mexico. A highlight of this tour is a daytrip to Dry Tortugas National Park where we will have some open ocean birding, in addition to opportunities to see sea turtles, dolphins, and other marine mammals.
Day 1: Pick up at Southwest Florida International, birding nearby if time. Dinner and lodging in Ft. Myers.
Day 2: Birding Ding Darkling and Sanibel Island. Corkscrew Swamp in afternoon. Night in Homestead.
Day 3: Everglades National Park, Night in Homestead.
Day 4: S Miami specialties, 4 hour drive through Keys. Night in Florida Keys
Day 5: Dry Tortuga National Park, Night in Florida Keys
Day 6: Depart Keys, birding S Miami for missed species. Night near Miami.
Day 7: Pick up last Miami specialties, Fisheating Creek, Lake Okeechobee, drive to Ft Myers. Night in Ft. Myers.
Day 8: Babcock-Webb WMA for Red-cockaded Woodpecker. Cape Coral, Myakka River, Oscar Sherer State Park. Night in Ft. Myers.
Day 9: Depart Ft Myers.
— Detailed itinerary coming soon!
Included with the Tour:
- Tour logistics and guiding by IAS staff, Libby Keyes and Sam Warren.
- Transportation with fuel included throughout the trip.
- All lodging for 9 days, 8 nights.
- All meals starting with dinner on day 1 and finishing with breakfast on day 9.
- All entrance fees to reserves and parks.
- Standard lunch and dinner tips for restaurant wait staff.
Not included with the Tour:
- flights to and from Ft Meyers.
- Tips for hotel staff, bird guides and driver, are not included.
- Medical expenses, prescription drugs and other items of personal use.
- Additional services offered in hotels (Spa, massage, etc.)
- Alcoholic beverages and anything else not listed on the menus of restaurants.
- Health and/or trip insurance
- Laundry service
- Any other expense or extra tour not listed as included above
Trip is limited to 10 participants. Participants are responsible for all travel to Ft Myers before and after the trip. Southwest airlines offers several options to Ft Myers from both Indianapolis and Chicago (Midway). Full payment balance due 90 days before trip departure.
$2,480 per person IAS Member. $2,580 per person non-IAS Member.
Single Supplement: $675
$200 deposit required via Eventbrite to reserve your spot.
$75 surcharge for credit card payments on remainder of trip payment.
Cover Photo: Florida Scrub Jay by Libby Keyes