- This event has passed.
Night of the Owls: Saw-whet Owl Banding Demonstrations
November 7 @ 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm EST$5
Start times for each station are as follows (all times are local for that station):
Indiana Dunes– meet at Indiana Dunes Visitor Center at 6pm CT
Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary– meet at the outdoor Shelter by the parking lot at 7pm EST
- Owls are wild animals. Their capture and banding on any particular night is not guaranteed. Though banding staff can usually give predictions as to whether conditions look better or worse for owl captures.
- Banding operations keep owl safety as a priority. Should concerns arrive, banding staff close the nets and station until any danger is clear.
- Registration includes a $5 donation to the site research. We also encourage to support the future operations of owl research in Indiana. via special Project Owlnet T-shirts for sale in the online store while supplies last. Some stations offer owl adoptions to help fund the project.
- All owl banding observers must pre-register in advance for upcoming banding nights
- All owl banding nights are limited to 10-20 participants depending on the site
- All participants are required to utilize facial covering and/or social distancing
- All banding will take place outside. Participants should bring a lawn chair, dress for cooler weather, and bring any snacks or drinks.