Costa Rica: Cloud Forest & Osa
March 1, 2023 @ 7:00 am - March 12, 2023 @ 10:00 am EST
In 2023 Indiana Audubon will host the next in a series of great birding adventures, as IAS returns for the extremely popular Pura Vida birding in beautiful Costa Rica. For sheer diversity of birds in a short trip, it’s hard to beat Costa Rica. Nowhere else is it as easy to experience such a range of habitats and families in a safe country with good infrastructure. This trip is designed to target the
As part of Indiana Audubon’s commitment to conservation in areas we visit, Indiana Audubon will make a donation towards a conservation initiative in Costa Rica.
The 2023 trip will support the Unspotted Saw-whet Owl Project taking pace near the Irazu Volcano.
Trip Leaders: Bill Sharkey and John Cassady are long-time Indiana Audubon members and have extensive experience birding in Costa Rica and leading trips for Indiana Audubon. This tour is being put together in partnership with Lifer Nature Tours, who will be securing transportation and guiding services during the trip.
Indiana Audubon Field Trip Ratings for this trip**
Birding Pace: Extended Tour. Multiple days with early starts, and long days birding with only small breaks. This trip will involve higher intensity levels than typical intro trips to Costa Rica.
Physical Requirements: Moderate. Costa Rica is a mountainous country. Participants can expect two miles or more of hiking per day at a birding pace on rough terrain and elevation under 10,000 feet.
Birding Skill Level: Mid-Level. Though this is not an intro level trip, the focus will be on building upon the diverse Costa Rica families of birds. A mix of skill levels is expected on this tour.
Day 1. February 28th Arrive in San José.
Day 2. March 1st San Isidro Foothills
Day 3. March 2nd San Isidro Foothills
Day 4. March 3rd South Pacific Rainforests
Day 5. March 4th South Pacific Rainforests
Day 6. March 5th South Pacific Rainforests
Day 7. March 6th South Pacific Rainforests
Day 8. March 7th South Pacific Rainforests
Day 9. March 8th Cartago Foothills
Day 10. March 9th Cartago Foothills
Day 11. March 10th San José
Day 12: Departure Flight
— You can see the detailed itinerary here. Please note that this is subject to change based on weather, birds, etc.
Included with the Tour:
- IAS guide coordinating trip logistics before and during the tour.
- Specialized Lifer Nature Tours guide/driver with Swarovski Spotting Scope, Portable speaker + Ipod with bird calls to play-back calls of a bird if necessary and a laser pointer to help locate birds in the field
- Spacious bus transportation with fuel included through the trip.
- All lodging for 12 days, 11 nights
- Accommodation in all hotels listed.• All meals starting with dinner on day 1 and finish with breakfast on day 12.
- All entrance fees to reserves and national parks, including the Saw-whet Owl Tour.
- Standard lunch and dinner tips for restaurant wait staff.
Not included with the Tour:
- Airfare and airport taxes.
- Tips for hotel staff, bird guides and driver.
- Medical expenses, prescription drugs COVID testing, and other items of personal use.• Additional tours offered in hotels (Spa, massage, etc.)
- Alcoholic beverages, cigarettes and anything else not listed on the menus of restaurants.
- Health and/or trip insurance
- Laundry service
- Any other expense or extra tour not listed as included above
Additional Considerations: This trip involves travel through Costa Rica, where roads may or not be paved. Destinations are often three hours or more of long, bumpy van or bus rides, with one notably longer ride day (6 hours). Participants with motion sickness may want to seek medication beforehand. The climate is warm and humid along the coast, and cooler in the higher mountains. Though we will be visiting during the dry season, rain is possible every day, with concentrated small, heavy bursts that should not interrupt birding too much.
Trip limit is 10 participants max. Prices are based on double occupancy.
$3,679 per person IAS Member. $3,779 per person non-IAS Member.
Single Supplement: $475
$200 deposit required via Eventbrite to reserve your spot.
$75 surcharge for credit card payments on remainder of trip payment
Cover Photo: Garden Emerald by Joseph Boone, Creative Commons
**Tickets go on sale Friday May 6, 2022 at 11am ET/10am CT**